Thursday, May 10, 2012

Paper Airplane


I love taking road trips through the great state of Texas. You head north on the I35 and alternately pass through large desolate stretches of fields, small towns and a large city (Austin). But, after Waco, you are in for about 4-5 hours of just fields, highways and 18-wheelers. I may be insane, but I think that this is charming (minus the 18-wheeler part). 

It has become a sort of tradition for our family to listen to Alison Krauss + Union Station on the way up there, and I've always enjoyed it. However, I especially enjoyed/related to their latest album. It's pretty melancholy, but in a thoughtful way. I like it.



Lay My Burden Down, On the Outside Looking In, and Miles to Go were some of my favorites, but I especially love the lyrics to the title track: 

I've put it all behind me, nothing left to do or doubt 
Some may say 
But every silver lining always seems to have a cloud 
That comes my way 
Anticipated pleasure or unexpected pain 
No choice I feel 
Love is hard to measure, hidden in the rain 
That's why you'll find me 

Here all alone and still wondering why 
Waitin inside for the cold to get colder 
And here where it's clear that I've wasted my time 
Hopin to fly cause it's almost over now 
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/alison+krauss/paper+airplane_20907320.html ] 
People come together, people go their own way 
Love conquers few 
And I'll do whatever I'll say what I need to say 
Just not for you 

How many days should I smile with a frown? 
'Cause you're not around with the sun on your shoulders 
And how many nights must I wake up alone 
And know in my soul that it's almost over now? 

Love is like a paper airplane 
Flyin in the folded dent 
Ridin high dippin low 
But innocence is fair again 
I'm hopin I can hold it in 
Our love will die I know...

~Alison Krauss, Paper Airplane

No comments: