Saturday, June 29, 2013

Like Painted Kites





Wow. These past couple of months have been insane. Bam, bam, bam. First came the driver's license and the freedom to go places without my mom. Then came that little thing known as "high school graduation."  And then, to top it off, I became a legal adult. (Apparently, I could buy a monkey now. Or dry ice. Just what I always wanted.)

All this whiplash has had me thinking.

 It's so easy to fall into a trap of doing nothing. I am faced with two options here: I could stay as close to my comfort zone as possible (which, as I have detailed earlier, is quite comfortable for me) or I can live "on the edge*." I can take risks. I could dig myself out of this comfort zone and try new things.

As Helen Keller put it (and she ought to know) "life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

        How true this is....think of it.

If we don't put our all into every day, no matter how stressful or tedious, and think of it as at least a portion of an adventure, how do we expect to live to the fullest? Some people have easy lives. Some have incredibly hard ones. But there is no reason on God's green earth for us to just "kill the time," to put to death each moment rife with potential energy for good.

We are given one life to live. We don't come back to this earth to try again. I want to make mine count.

I admit. I'm certainly not the best at this. Much of the time, it's a struggle. I'm not always particularly motivated. But I can and will change. I have gotten an idea of how short life can feel, and I've also discovered that there're no worse feelings in the world worse than 1)eating too much sugar in a sitting and 2) realizing that you've wasted an entire day, one that you'll never get it back.

I'm determined to feel neither ever again.



I like my comfort zone. I'm tired. "Burned out." I don't like this, I don't like that. I'm afraid.

I need to learn to ignore these excuses. They are stalling me. If I give them leverage, I will end up wasting my life.

But why is this so very important? As I read over my previous paragraphs, I see that it really sounds like another one of those motivational speeches.

C'mon.

Whole books have been written on the subject; a leap in the sale of these tomes was just experienced over graduation season. So why bother? Well, aside from the fact that this is my blog and I like to use it as my sounding-board sometimes, I think it's very important to realize the "one life to live" dilemma above.

I'm a child of God. I'm not always the best, or the most devoted. I'm working on that. But I do know that God is the one who gave me this life. He put me on earth for some reason. Because I am saved by the blood of Jesus, I realize this even more fully. I was put here to make a difference, whether big or small (by the world's standards). So that's just what I need to do. It will involve risks and hard work, but what else am I going to do with my life? Sit around and conserve energy until I'm dead?

Nope. So what am I going to do about this? Well...in the interest of saving time and not having the blog post balloon into one of those endless essays, I will end here.

I'm just kind of aesthetically minded like that.

But! This post will be continued. Soon.

Possibly tomorrow.

Thanks for sitting through my ramblings. I hope to continue skipping through the fields of my mind, which are clearly full of rabbit trails. ;)





No comments: