Monday, July 9, 2012

Frank Sinatra and Mood Indigo

Singers nowadays. I mean really. I'm fed up.

With few exception, the female singers' voices are either auto-tuned beyond recognition, or so weak that either way they are impossible to tell apart from each other. And the male singers...if they don't sound like girls--which too many do--I wouldn't be able to tell the one from another. Honestly, I couldn't differentiate Kenny Chesney from Tim McGraw to save my life, and that's just country. Oh yeah, and what is the attraction to a certain much-mocked Canadian superstar? My faith in humanity is certainly on the downhill slope.


My personal favorite singer hails from a different decade, a different era...a different style and skill entirely. I by that, I mean that Frank Sinatra is approximately 100x better than any of the poor excuses that society offers today.




Sinatra had a manly voice, a smooth voice, and he sang elegant and intelligent thoughts of days of bygone romance. Still, some would choose various modern "artists" over my favorite. How dare they! (Just kidding, I understand that it's their preference...and everyone has one life to mess up any way they want. I guess.)

A friend once told me that Taylor Swift had songs for every feeling and every emotion. Songs for mean people. Songs for sad people. Songs for cheating people...and a couple of ditties for happy people. 

Sinatra, on the other hand, only sang happy songs for people in love and people who were only ever happy and hopeful all the time. His music was for the chronic optimist. 

I had a difficult time refuting this, as up until that time I had only listened to all the happy songs...even the slow-paced ones weren't exactly depressing. So I was forced to rest with the fact that my favorite was more skilled by far than Miss Swift, but woefully lacking in variety. 

That is what I thought...until the other day. Friday, I believe it was, I found a whole new realm of Sinatra, one that was wonderful for that moment. I found not just sentimental, but heart-breakingly sad songs, all on the same marvelous album.

Mood Indigo

Glad to Be Unhappy

In the Wee Small Hours

Deep in a Dream


and many others. 

I knew that I Frank Sinatra was my favorite singer, but I didn't fully realize on how many levels. Now, I will be sure to listen to one of his songs in any mood, since there's always one that fits.




Also, Frank Sinatra wore the greatest hats. I think that all men should wear hats like his. 







1 comment:

Brianna Wachter said...

Frank Sinatra is fantastic. And ditto to the hats :)

Btw, glad you're back at blogging, Lucie! Missed seeing you over here.

Hugs,
Nana